Distance Learning Hub
Internet Resources For Families
Bay Area Resources
Central Valley Resources
Los Angeles Resources
Memphis, TN Resources
Welcome to the Aspire Public Schools Distance Learning Hub! We miss our scholars and have been working tirelessly to create a robust academic program that will meet scholars’ needs while maintaining physical distancing. This program will allow scholars to engage in standards-based learning and maintain community within a flexible structure; we aim to provide a rigorous and robust academic program that also offers opportunities for joyful engagement in learning.
Based on the public health guidance and developments related to COVID in California, the State requires that all Aspire schools remain in 100% distance learning, which we will do for the entirety of the second quarter of the school year. Students who are medically immuno-compromised will have the option to continue in Distance Learning even if we advance through stages. See our Reopening Stages below.
SYNCHRONOUS teaching or learning is when the teacher is present at the same time as the learner.
ASYNCHRONOUS teaching or learning is when teachers and learners are not present at the same time, but learners work through assigned teaching material at their own pace, according to a recommended schedule.
Throughout Distance Learning in 2020-21, students are expected to:
- Attend synchronous learning sessions daily (consult with your teacher(s) to find out the times) or communicate daily with school staff
- Engage in asynchronous academic work according to the assignments made by their teacher(s)
- Attend any other school-associated meetings as scheduled (meetings with counselors, other service providers as needed, etc.)
Your child’s teacher(s) will share learning materials and will maintain regular communication. We are proud of the resilience of our Aspire scholars, families, and staff during these unprecedented times. We wish everyone in our Aspire community health, safety, and peace.
Distance Learning Guidelines and Suggestions
- Use the resources within these pages to optimize the Distance Learning experience.
- Consult your child’s synchronous learning schedule and develop a routine in which to engage in asynchronous learning each day. Note: These blocks do not need to fall within traditional school hours.
- If students are unable to attend a synchronous session, we recommend that you or your student contact your teacher(s) for next steps.
- Create a space for your student to be successful by removing as many distractions as possible. Note: For younger learners, this could mean removing toys from the area. For older learners, this could mean putting cell phones away or turning the television off.
- Consult with your student’s teacher(s) if there are any required materials for engaging in joyful learning, and try to have those available for your child in the workspace.
- Please reach out to your school’s leadership team if you have any supply (notebooks, pencils, etc.) or technology (Internet, etc.) needs.
- Families and students can monitor student online attendance and academic progress on PowerSchool. Reach out to your school’s office staff if you are unsure how to access your account.
- Please communicate with your child’s teacher(s) if you feel your student would benefit from additional office hours or check-ins for any reason.
Most Aspire teachers will post academic resources and daily activities for students in Google Classroom. Please follow the instructions linked below with your child to help them log in and access the resources from their teacher. Reach out to your child’s teacher if you are unsure whether or not Google Classroom is being used.
Google Classroom How-To Guides
Many Aspire classes use learning applications that are accessed through Clever. If your child uses applications through Clever in school, they can use the same applications at home. If you or your child do not know their username and password, you can ask their teacher for that information.
Clever How-To Guides
Your teacher may send out information on office hours or one-on-one check-ins through Zoom. You can access these just by clicking the link your teacher posts or sends you.