Distance Learning Hub
Internet Resources For Families
Bay Area Resources
Central Valley Resources
Los Angeles Resources
Memphis, TN Resources
Welcome to the Aspire Public Schools Distance Learning Hub! We miss our scholars and have been working tirelessly to create a robust academic program that will meet scholars’ needs while maintaining physical distancing. This program will allow scholars to engage in standards-based learning and maintain community within a flexible structure; we aim to provide a rigorous and robust academic program that also offers opportunities for joyful engagement in learning.
20-21 School Year Update
As we continue to monitor state discussions and the pandemic data for our communities, Aspire has made the decision that all schools will remain in Distance Learning for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year. In alignment with State guidance that allows us to serve students with acute needs in-person, even when in the purple tier, we will begin to offer in-person supports to a small subset of students as conditions improve. We will also resume in-person special education assessments in accordance with our data thresholds. Read more from the latest ParentSquare communications from your region, also located within the left sidebar.
SYNCHRONOUS teaching or learning is when the teacher is present at the same time as the learner.
ASYNCHRONOUS teaching or learning is when teachers and learners are not present at the same time, but learners work through assigned teaching material at their own pace, according to a recommended schedule.
Throughout Distance Learning in 2020-21, students are expected to:
- Attend synchronous learning sessions daily (consult with your teacher(s) to find out the times) or communicate daily with school staff
- Engage in asynchronous academic work according to the assignments made by their teacher(s)
- Attend any other school-associated meetings as scheduled (meetings with counselors, other service providers as needed, etc.)
Your child’s teacher(s) will share learning materials and will maintain regular communication. We are proud of the resilience of our Aspire scholars, families, and staff during these unprecedented times. We wish everyone in our Aspire community health, safety, and peace.
Distance Learning Guidelines and Suggestions
- Use the resources within these pages to optimize the Distance Learning experience.
- Consult your child’s synchronous learning schedule and develop a routine in which to engage in asynchronous learning each day. Note: These blocks do not need to fall within traditional school hours.
- If students are unable to attend a synchronous session, we recommend that you or your student contact your teacher(s) for next steps.
- Create a space for your student to be successful by removing as many distractions as possible. Note: For younger learners, this could mean removing toys from the area. For older learners, this could mean putting cell phones away or turning the television off.
- Consult with your student’s teacher(s) if there are any required materials for engaging in joyful learning, and try to have those available for your child in the workspace.
- Please reach out to your school’s leadership team if you have any supply (notebooks, pencils, etc.) or technology (Internet, etc.) needs.
- Families and students can monitor student online attendance and academic progress on PowerSchool. Reach out to your school’s office staff if you are unsure how to access your account.
- Please communicate with your child’s teacher(s) if you feel your student would benefit from additional office hours or check-ins for any reason.
Most Aspire teachers will post academic resources and daily activities for students in Google Classroom. Please follow the instructions linked below with your child to help them log in and access the resources from their teacher. Reach out to your child’s teacher if you are unsure whether or not Google Classroom is being used.
Google Classroom How-To Guides
Many Aspire classes use learning applications that are accessed through Clever. If your child uses applications through Clever in school, they can use the same applications at home. If you or your child do not know their username and password, you can ask their teacher for that information.
Clever How-To Guides
Your teacher may send out information on office hours or one-on-one check-ins through Zoom. You can access these just by clicking the link your teacher posts or sends you.
With ParentSquare you’ll be able to: receive all regional, school, and other communication via email, text, or app – in the language you prefer, message teachers and staff, view announcements and newsfeeds. You can download the free mobile app for Android or iOS and you can also use it from a computer. Our goal is for every family to join ParentSquare, so that all can stay up to date on what’s happening in their classroom, their school, and region.
ParentSquare How-To Guides
With the PowerSchool parent portal you can review your student(s) grades, attendance, view specific assignments, and how to access state tests and assessments. Please note: information is updated by each individual school and teachers, so if you have any questions on data accuracy please reach out to them directly.
PowerSchool How-To Guides
Tutoring Support for Scholars Grades 6-12
To provide our scholars in grades 6-12 access to additional personalized academic support services outside of school, Aspire has partnered with Paper to offer on-demand virtual tutoring in all core subjects. Scholars have access to free one-on-one tutoring services, offered in English, Spanish, French and Mandarin, 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Scholars can log on to Paper’s interactive platform and connect instantly with a tutor via a live chat function that allows them to seek homework help, writing feedback and study support. Personalized tutoring sessions can last for a few minutes or several hours, depending on the needs of the student, and can happen as frequently as a student wants. Scholars can also submit written work, including essays, lab reports, research papers and college applications, and receive feedback on grammar, structure, content and style.