The Aspire Teacher Residency is designed to provide a high-quality pathway to teaching for individuals of all ages and backgrounds.
Who should apply to the Aspire Teacher Residency?
- Anyone interested in teaching low-income, urban students
- Individuals interested in a rigorous and supportive teacher preparation program
- College seniors and recent graduates who want to settle in one of Aspire's regions
- Professionals looking to make a career change to teaching
- Any Aspire graduate, staff member, community member or volunteer who is eager to become a teacher at Aspire
To apply to the 2017-2018 Aspire Teacher Residency Program, applicants must:
- Complete a bachelor's degree by the end of June 2017
- Have maintained a GPA of 3.0 or higher on the last 60 semester of 90 quarter units earned*
(*Individuals with a GPA below 3.0 may apply, but must include a written explanation of the circumstances that contributed to a lower GPA in order to be considered.)
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident authorized to work in the U.S.
Applicants must submit the following application materials:
1. Aspire Teacher Residency Application Form (Now Available)
2. Statement of Purpose Essays
Complete each section separately and allot up to one page per section. All four essays must be uploaded to your application as one file.
Section 1 (Purposefulness and Commitment to Teaching as a Lifelong Profession*)
Please tell us your story, describing your professional, educational, and personal path towards deciding to become a teacher in an urban school system. What successes and obstacles have you overcome to get to this place? What resources helped you to overcome the obstacles that stood in your way?
Section 2 (Purposefulness and Commitment to Teaching as a Lifelong Profession*)
Tell us why you plan on spending four or more years of your life as a teacher with Aspire Public Schools. Please include prior experiences working with children.
Section 3 (Ownership*)
Describe the job or task where you have been least effective. What do you think the reasons are? What did you do to address the difficulty of the job and improve your work? What resources helped you improve?
Section 4 (Customer Service*)
Describe experiences you have had in which you had to relate to people/cultures/experiences different from your own. Describe what you learned about yourself as a result of these experiences AND what makes you believe that you will be able to serve all Aspire students.
3. Three Completed ATR Recommendation Forms
4. College Transcripts
Application Deadlines: 2017-18 Program
Application Deadline: December 2, 2016
Application Deadline: March 10, 2017
All accepted California Residents will be required to pass the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) and California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) by July 31, 2017.
ATR-Memphis Residents must also pass the Praxis II - Content Knowledge exam by February 17, 2018.
- Purposefulness - Understands, embraces and consistently takes deliberate action to achieve Aspire's vision and mission. This includes long term goal setting, backwards mapping from the goal(s) and taking steps along the path toward the goal(s).
- Ownership - Consistently holds self and others accountable for results, actions and decisions.
- Collaboration - Develops strong relationships with colleagues and works from a "one for all, all for one" premise in order to accomplish more together than what is possible alone.
- Customer Service - Empathetically understands the needs and desires of the students and the families we serve.
- Quality - Demonstrates a commitment to excellence and the discipline to continually improve. This includes the habit of reflection and analysis of what worked and what did not work and planning next steps accordingly.
- Perseverance - Remains committed and actively engaged even when faced with difficult challenges.
- Communication - Demonstrates capacity to speak and write clearly.
- Commitment to Teaching as a Lifelong Profession - Believes that learning to teach is a lifelong endeavor worthy of the pursuit.
"I chose ATR due to Aspire’s commitment to developing and supporting effective teachers who are committed to teaching as a life-long profession. The intense mentorship component was the driving force in bringing me to ATR. I’m very excited to learn and work alongside an incredibly talented master teacher on a daily basis!"
-Karen Schreiner,ATR Graduate