About the Aspire Teacher
We believe that intensive training is an excellent way to develop expertise in a given field (and wonder why more professions haven’t adopted the practice). In partnership with the University of the Pacific (CA) and Relay Graduate School of Education (Memphis, TN), the Aspire Teacher Residency (ATR) is a supportive teacher training program that recruits and trains individuals of all ages and backgrounds to become highly-effective teachers.
Similar to the medical residency model, ATR prepares teachers by pairing theory and practice through master's level coursework and classroom practicum. The goal is to provide Teacher Residents with appropriate theory and give them the opportunity to apply it in practice with the support of a successful Mentor Teacher.
The Aspire Teacher Residency offers:
- A comprehensive four-year program that integrates exceptional academic preparation and practical teaching experience
- Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction from University of the Pacific at a deeply discounted tuition rate
- California Preliminary Teaching Credential, in one of the following subject areas:
- Elementary/Multiple Subject (grades K-8)
- English (grades 6-12)
- Math (grades 6-12)
- Science (grades 6-12)
- Social Studies (grades 6-12)
- Special Education - Mild/Moderate (grades K-12)
- The opportunity to work in a classroom and learn from a highly-effective, trained Mentor Teacher four days/week for an entire school year
- A competitive stipend and full benefits during the residency year
- Priority hiring for a paid, full-time teaching position at an Aspire school in California or Memphis, TN for Residents who successfully complete the first year program
Aspire is a national organization with schools in California and Tennessee. Residency opportunities are available in both states.
ATR - California: Train at an Aspire school in California for one year, then teach with Aspire in California for 3 years (or more!). Residency placements are available in East Palo Alto, Richmond, Oakland, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Stockton and Modesto.
KIPP Bay Area Schools is working in partnership with Aspire to launch a Teaching Residency In the 17-18 School Year. Residents will be joining ATR residents in University of the Pacific classes as well as various other trainings. Residency openings through KIPP Bay Area Schools are available at middle schools and high schools in the neighborhoods of San Lorenzo, San Jose, and San Francisco. To learn more about the KIPP Teaching Residency, click here: http://bit.ly/KBASTRabout
Please note that to apply for both Aspire and KIPP locations, you must submit both applications.
ATR - Memphis: Train at an Aspire school in Memphis, TN for one year, then teach and help open new Aspire schools in Memphis for 3 years (or more!).
95% of ATR graduates were effective or highly-effective teachers in their first year based on Aspire's Teacher Effectiveness Data.