About the Aspire Teacher Residency
We believe that intensive training is an excellent way to develop expertise in a given field (and wonder why more professions haven’t adopted the practice). In partnership with the University of the Pacific, the Aspire Teacher Residency (ATR) is a supportive teacher training program that recruits and trains individuals of all ages and backgrounds to become highly-effective teachers.
Similar to the medical residency model, ATR prepares teachers by pairing theory and practice through master's level coursework and classroom practicum. The goal is to provide Teacher Residents with appropriate theory and give them the opportunity to apply it in practice with the support of a successful Mentor Teacher.
The Aspire Teacher Residency offers:
- A comprehensive four-year program that integrates exceptional academic preparation and practical teaching experience
- Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction from University of the Pacific at a deeply discounted tuition rate
- California Preliminary Teaching Credential, in one of the following subject areas:
- Elementary/Multiple Subject (grades K-8)
- English (grades 6-12)
- Math (grades 6-12)
- Science (grades 6-12)
- Social Studies (grades 6-12)
- Special Education (Mild/Moderate)
- The opportunity to work in a classroom and learn from a highly-effective, trained Mentor Teacher four days/week for an entire school year
- A competitive stipend and full benefits during the residency year
- Priority hiring for a paid, full-time teaching position at an Aspire school in California or Memphis, TN for Residents who successfully complete the first year program
Aspire is a national organization with schools in California and Tennessee. Residency opportunities are available in both states.
ATR - California: Train at an Aspire school in California for one year, then teach with Aspire in California for 3 years (or more!). Residency placements are available in East Palo Alto, Oakland, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Stockton and Modesto.
ATR - California/Memphis Hybrid Program (Train in California and teach in Memphis, TN): Aspire is continuing to open schools in Memphis, TN, and the Aspire Teacher Residency is accepting applications for those who are interested in spending one year training in our California schools and then pursuing a K-8 teaching position in Memphis. With first year residency placements available in East Palo Alto, Oakland, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Stockton and Modesto, those who join the Residency program will spend their Residency year (year 1) at an Aspire school in California and then move to Memphis to teach and help open a new Aspire school in year 2. Residents are asked to commit to teaching with Aspire in Memphis for at least three years.
ATR - Memphis: Train at an Aspire school in Memphis, TN for one year, then teach and help open new Aspire schools in Memphis for 3 years (or more!).
95% of ATR graduates were effective or highly-effective teachers in their first year based on Aspire's Teacher Effectiveness Data.
"I was drawn to the Aspire Teacher Residency because I wanted to learn my craft from some of the best - those teachers who have made Aspire stand out as one of the highest-achieving school systems serving socio-economically disadvantaged students."
-Caitlin Schoenfelder, ATR Graduate